Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Wanna get away?

I've had the nagging desire to go on a vacation for the last week.Yesterday that desire was greatly intensified as I stood on the HOV lane of 635 in the 100+ degree heat. I took Ashley, the 15 year old I've babysat for 5 years now, to Rockwall for a dentist appointment. I drove her mom's Escalade so that she could watch Transformers on the way there and back because she hadn't seen it and had plans to see the second one at midnight last night.

Just as I was going from I-30 to the 635 North HOV lane I started to feel the car pulling to the right a little. I looked down to see the "check tire pressure light" come on. Within 20 seconds I started to feel the car pulling more to the right. At this point I'm on a gigantic overpass in a totally blocked in HOV lane. I start to slow down because luckily no one is behind me at this point. Within another 20 seconds it really starts pulling to the right so I slowed down even more and turned on the hazard lights. Right at that moment the wheel started shaking back and forth violently and the tire completely blows up and off the car. I was able to maintain control and come to a complete stop, but at this point I'm slightly panicked because we're completely stopped in the far left lane with no shoulder and cars are coming down from the overpass at 70 mph straight at us.

They had Onstar so we called immediately and the police were out in about 15 minutes along with a slightly rude and abrupt DART worker who changed the tire. There was a language barrier between me and the DART worker and compounding the problem was the fact that I had never driven this car before and I had absolutely no idea how anything worked or where anything was. At one point he almost stabbed their back-up sensors with a large pocket knife. Sheesh!

Thankfully we got the tire changed and we were back on our way safely. (After standing on the highway for about 45 minutes in the heat...which according to the rearview mirror was 111 degrees!). So the moral of the story is to check your tires and keep them properly inflated/without nails!


1 comment:

Allison said...

Wow! Ugh. I am glad it worked out. I am with you on the need for a vacation! I totally know that feeling.